Our post-merger integration plan tools and templates (more than 100) help simplify and expedite integration work and help teams produce it in common formats.
The acquisition integration project plan tools and templates are organized in these categories:
PRITCHETT Merger Integration Certification Workshop Attendees and Website Subscribers can access all the M&A integration tools and templates, not just the free ones. They can also access all the presentations, playbooks, books, articles, checklists, software, assessments, webinars, research, and videos on MergerIntegration.com.
(Partial List - See eMerger Software for more tools and templates)
Finance & Accounting 90-Day Acquisition Integration Plan
Finance & Accounting 90-Day Acquisition Integration Plan that incudes 93 tasks grouped in the following categories: Budget and Forecast, Insurance Coverage, Limits of Authority, Insurance Policies, Reporting Process, Purchase Price Accounting, and External and Internal Audits.
Sub-Work Stream Budget and Finance
|To obtain Acquired Co. FY25 budget for incorporating into NewCo budget - communicate with Acquired Co. entities/agree on deliverable format|
|To discuss/align on deliverables - Budgets in systems|
|Prepare NewCo budget - high level P&L for Day 30|
|Prepare NewCo budget - detailed level P&L, BS and CF for Day 60|
|Make adjustments for synergies / disynergies ...|
Post-Merger Integration Human Resources Plan
1.0 OD - Succession Planning
2.0 OD - Leadership Development
3.0 OD - Training
4.0 OD - Tuition Reimbursement
5.0 OD - Performance Management - Next Year
6.0 OD - Performance Management -- Future State Design and Implementation
7.0 OD - Office Logistics ...
Cross-Border Day 1 Merger Integration Plan
Excerpt from Day 1 Cross-Border Plan for 5 Cities and 4 Countries
Internal Comm: FAQs (IT, Payroll info: semi-monthly to bi-weekly, Cobra, Remote I-9s (notarized), holiday, FICA withholding, insurance deductible)
Full List of Employees (preferred name, email address, cost center, job title)
Establish new vendor as supplier (interim IT support)
Internal Comm: ...
Post-Merger Integration Cross-Border Finance Plan
7-Page Finance Plan from a Cross-Border Merger.
Finalize and communicate organizational structure
Coordinate closing process for August 2024
Establish initial treasury linkage to Acquirer
- Weekly cash forecast process established
- Weekly conference call re: cash position set up
- Presentation by NT on capabilities to replace lock box
Develop Tax Efficient Global Reorganization of Acquirer
- Develop preliminary schematics illustrating proposed reorganization
- Present preliminary schematic plan proposal to upper management ...
How to Identify Post-Merger Integration Priorities
In this task, each Integration Team identifies their priority initiatives and action items. Depending on the size, complexity, and resources dedicated to Integration, this activity can take two weeks to a month. The team may work from a generic list of tasks or start at ground zero with analysis of the merging organizations. The objective is to list the short- and long-term initiatives that will help the combined companies achieve the defined merger synergies and goals.
Staffing and Retention Integration Project Plan
Over 70 Staffing and Retention Activities Grouped into these Categories:
- Finalize Organizational Structure for All Functions
- Deploy a Staffing Process to Assess, Select, and Announce All Levels of the Organization below the Management Team
- Management Team Design Tools to Retain Key Talent Prior to Close and Throughout the Transition Period
- Develop a Process for Managing Reductions in Force and Administering Separation Packages and Outplacement Services
- Design an Issue-Free Day 1 From the Employee Perspective
- Provide the Communication Team with Guidance on Messages Related to Retention, Severance and Staffing
Due Diligence Data Request Checklist for an Acquisition Integration
- Top 20 customers by business sales
- Revenue for past 3 years by source
- Sales: Rebates & Discounts
- Top 100 suppliers and the AP spend month by month last 24 months.
- Financial systems for reporting and transactions...
Target Operating Model and Roadmap Template
Buyer As-Is Assessment
People, Processes, Systems & Tools, Assets & Infrastructure, Contracts
Seller As-Is Assessment
People, Processes, Systems & Tools, Assets & Infrastructure, Contracts
End-State Target Operating Model
Gaps and Transformation Steps
Strategic Score of Each Integration Initiative
A strategic score is assigned to each of 144 workstream initiatives in a cross-border acquisition integration.
Columns on Excel spreadsheet for each Initiative:
Work Stream, Responsible, Execution by Day 1, Urgency: Hi/Medium/Low, Impact: Hi/Medium/Low, Strategic Score, Ranking in Original Top 10, End State, Impacted Countries, Project Structure, Led By Accountable, Reporting to IMO
Acquisition Project Plan Excel Template
The Excel file includes integration project plan templates for Finance, HR, IT, Corporate, Legal, and Operations.
Column headings in the spreadsheet templates are: Work Streams, Initiatives, Owner, Day 1 Mandatories, Start Date, Completion Date, Key Issues and Risks, Cross Dependencies, and Actions Required.
The templates were utilized in the M&A Integration Playbook - 20 Billion Acquisition.
Evaluation of HR Acquisition Integration Plan
The biggest challenges with this planning team have been:
- Lack of clarity regarding what they own and what they don’t own within their charter (i.e., staffing, severance, retention, titling, compensation, org. design, etc.)
- Slow to develop things that they feel they need more time to work on (staffing, severance, retention, etc.)
- Figuring out if they could engage outside consultants
HR Team Post-Merger Integration Charter
Identify and define the future state OD/HR organization, philosophies, policies, procedures, programs, and support systems. In addition, identify high-level activities, tasks, and costs required to combine the two organizations into the future state organizations. Special attention will be given to high-priority (Day 1) items as well as milestone components to reach the decided end state.
IMO Kick-Off Meeting Agenda: Acquirer-Acquired Company
8:00-8:10 Review objectives and target outcomes of meeting
8:10-8:30 Ensure all participants grounded in legal rules of engagement for go forward planning activities
8:30-8:45 Transaction & Timing Update Communicate deal status and target close date scenarios
8:45-9:00 Overview of key deliverables, timing, R&R’s, and relevant IMO process details ...
M&A Integration Risk Impact/Mitigation Template
Risk: Agreement delayed / production dates push into busy season
Potential Impact: Integration work competing with regular work at busiest time of the year for sales, production, and fulfillment.
Mitigation Plan: Make decision on transferring production into 2022 and fulfill all else from west coast
Potential Cost Impact: Rent costs for Company A, delayed realization of production efficiencies ...
180 Day Post-Merger Integration Plan at 90 Days Post Close
- Plan for mid-transition hires
- Communicating changes to salary grade and/or pay adjustments
- Exec Comp: SC compensation changes in System
- All pay changes effective April in System
M&A Integration Scorecard Template
- The latest version of the Integration Scorecard/Milestones will be sent to you via email each Monday. This version will reflect all updates reported through 5:00 pm (Central) the previous Friday.
- Send all weekly updates to Bill Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make your updates directly to the latest version of the Scorecard/Milestones ...
Post-Merger Integration Dashboard
Post-Merger Integration Status Reported by these Departments:
- Corporate Business Development
- Corporate Communications
- Tax Products
- Customer Support
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Commercial Applications
- Product Management
- Sales and Alliances
Steering Committee Post-Merger Integration Dashboard
The steps to create an integration scorecard and the categories to cover, plus an example
M&A Synergy Plan Template
Synergy types include Headcount, Operations, Sales Procurement , R&D Cost Savings, Pricing Rationalization, Procurement, and Cross Selling.
M&A Cost Synergies Report
M&A Cost Synergies Excel Template plus Example of Completed Template
Instructions for Cost Synergy Template
1) Log each integration activity that increases or decreases headcount and/or expenses with projected time frames.
2) Use "Assumptions and Notes" to describe each integration activity in more detail.
3) Notes regarding general accounting treatment:
- Severance for reductions in Acquiree positions are generally capitalized as part of the purchase price (if the reduction is made within one year).
- Severance for reductions in Acquirer positions are expensed when employees are notified.
- Stay bonuses are expensed over the period teammate is required to work.
- Costs related to Acquiree facilities that will no longer be utilized are generally capitalized as part of the purchase price (if the move is made within one year).
- Costs related to Acquirer facilities are expensed.
- Potential sub-lease income offsets costs recorded ...
M&A Synergy and Cost Savings Report Templates
Excel spreadsheets to track synergy estimates categorized as labor and non-labor, required and discretionary (strategic vs. nonstrategic).
Estimated M&A Synergies Report
Report template includes conservative, optimistic, and most likely synergy estimates plus their basis for calculation, underlying assumptions, and time frame.
Cross-Border M&A Synergies
Synergies for the following work streams:
- Finance & Corporate Admin Phase One Americas
- Finance & Corporate Admin Phase 2 EMEA
- Legal & Risk Management
- Human Resources
- Manufacturing Operations
- Information Technology
- Customer Support
- Columns on the Excel Spreadsheet:
M&A Synergy Template
The M&A Synergy Template captures synergy description, timing, assumptions, risks, cost to achieve, optimistic, conservative, and most likely synergy projections plus actual net synergies achieved.
Status of Post-Merger Integration Guiding Principles
Status of Integration Guiding Principles
Live our values — no compromise
People think that overall the leadership teams are exhibiting values
Work together — no “us and them”
Still "pockets" of dominant Target and Acquirer groups
Act with urgency — make decisions quickly
Still major concerns around the day-to-day decisions are too slow…
Templates for Post-Merger Integration Plan Review
Questions to Review Communications, Costs, and Systems in Each Plan
What is the risk of not being able to support the plan from a communications standpoint?
Rate the risk on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1= low risk and 10 = high risk: ...
Workstream Status Report - Sales
- Short-Term target list for short-term wins
- Establish opportunity input, tracking, and reporting in Salesforce
- Define marketing support
- Determine dedicated resources for support sales activity
- Define sales enablement activity / owners
DAY ONE (Close Phase)
- Key talking points for Sales
- Product introduction, product information resource center ...
When and What to Report for a Post-Merger Integration
What do you report?
Each team member will provide the following to the M&A Task Force leader: Key Actions/Accomplishments During the Past Week, Key Issues/Decisions Required, Potential Solutions/Help Needed, Next Steps/Actions
How is it reported?
Task Force Leaders compile the individual team member reports into a team report and submit it weekly to the IMO. Alternatively, Task Force Leaders may bring the team's report to a regularly scheduled IMO meeting and review the report with the IMO and other Task Force Leaders ...
Integration Issue Form and Issue Log
Issues are problems, gaps, inconsistencies, or conflicts that occur during the an M&A integration. Issues can include problems with the employees, technology, shortages, or any other problem that has a negative impact. If issues remain unresolved, the integration may suffer delays and overruns. Each issue should be monitored and assigned an owner.
Integration Risk Form and Risk Log
A risk is an event that has not happened while an issue is something that has happened.
As you identify each risk, determine which integration team member will be responsible for tracking and reporting it. The owner of the risk is responsible for implementing a plan to resolve a risk if it becomes an issue.
Prioritize your integration risks based on the likelihood that they will occur and the severity of the problem if they do occur.
Integration Dependency Form and Dependency Log
Dependencies mandate tasks be executed in a specific sequence. They should be rigorously tracked because they can help you:
- Determine the right order of activities in the M&A integration.
- Calculate the critical path of the integration
- Identify resource and scheduling issues
- Identify opportunities to accelerate the schedule
Post-Merger Integration Tracking Tool and Best Practices Meeting
When it comes to mergers and acquisitions, experience counts. The first deal a buyer does will always be the hardest. With each subsequent deal, a buyer will learn more about M&A. Acquirers should document what worked, as well as what didn’t, so they don’t lose lessons learned.
Example of Lessons Learned Report
The two-page document is an example on the data collected by The Steering Committee, Integration Team, and Task Forces about what went well during a merger and what should be changed for the next Integration. The two-page Lessons Learned Word template is also provided.
On chartering the team(s)
Review the Charters semi-monthly to ensure Task Forces are consistently on track
On creating, reviewing, and approving Detailed Project Plans
Include fewer people in the review process (it took too long) ...
8 M&A Communication Tools
Suggested Core Message Content for Stakeholders
Employee Communications Survey
Communications Planning Matrix
Example: Communications Planning Matrix
Communication Effectiveness Criteria
Communication Event Evaluation Form
Acquisition Press Release Outline
Announcement Presentation Outline to Acquirer’s Employee
Announcement Presentation Outline to Acquired Company’s Employees
Day -3 Through Day 1 M&A Communications Plan
- FTC gives indication that clearance is likely
- Confirm all final communication documents are uploaded to SmartSheet
- FTC Clears transaction to close
- Press release related to HSR completion
- Issue Corporate Acquired Co Investors Press Release ...
M&A Communications Plan: Announcement to Close
Communication Plan includes over 300 tasks from Announcement to Close for:
Customers & Partners
M&A Day 1 Answers to Employee Frequently Asked Questions
Excerpt from Answers to Employees FAQs
- Is the purchase/sale of Acquiree to Acquirer finalized?
Yes. The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and Acquirer have entered into an agreement which permitted the acquisition to proceed. The Acquirer and Acquiree have both received Board and Shareholder approval and we have officially closed the deal.
- What Acquiree offices are included in the sale?
All Acquiree’s operations in North America, Europe, and Asia are included in the deal..
Information Technology: Day 1 Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
Most IT processes and procedures will remain unchanged on Day 1. Acquired Co. and Acquirer’s IT teams will be working closely together over the next several months to bring our IT systems together in the way that best suits the needs of the business. In the meantime, review the FAQs below to learn more about the IT transition and what it means for you. For even more information, check out the FAQ on Integration Central at http://www.ourcompany.com/integration ...
Acquisition Signing Day Communications Schedule
- Steering Committee Call to Review Communication Plan
- Acquirer Press Release Distribution
- Acquired Co. Press Release Distribution
- Send BU Meeting Invites
- BU Employee Calls
- BU Customer Calls
- BU Customer Email
- Supplier Calls …
Post-Merger Organizational Announcements: Complete by 90 Days
- Functional leaders and/or HR will work with Communications to publish an informational article in the integration newsletter. Broad employee announcements will only be made after all affected employees have been personally communicated with.
- Employee severances will be handled within the functions, in conjunction with HR. No formal communication will be issued regarding individual severances. Exceptions will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
M&A Day 1 / Week 1 Letter to Acquirer’s Leaders
Once we receive confirmation of the close date, a member of each team should reach out to facility managers/site contacts at each of the locations you’re planning to visit to discuss the day and time of each site event and your travel logistics.
Email all facility managers a copy of the Facility Managers Guide and your Welcome Week Schedule. Both are available on the Communication Document library in Smartsheet.
It may also be helpful for you to discuss any key issues or concerns the workforce has, as you prepare for meeting with employees during your visit. Some questions to consider...
Post-Merger Integration Update from CEO
First Page of 3-Page Merger Integration Update
It’s now been three months since we combined our companies. I’d like to explain what integration challenges lie ahead and how you can continue to help.
First, I thank you all for your cooperation and hard work. Integrating two companies is tough and I recognize that many of you have put in a lot of additional effort to help the two companies begin operating as one. I thank everyone for their patience ...
Company Merger Announcement Template
The following includes the information to cover when announcing a merger or acquisition plus the guidelines to follow when writing the announcement.
Acquiring Company to Acquire Acquired Company (possibly mention price)
Other notable information
Paragraph 1: Announcement
Acquiring company announced today
- Amount (cash, stock) ...
M&A Integration Communication Matrices by Function
Matrices completed by five work streams on M&A integrations. Includes instructions.
Complete the 8 columns of the communication matrix with the following information:
What type of message is being conveyed?
· The type of announcement; the main subject of the message
Why is the message being conveyed?
· To announce the merger/acquisition
· To answer the “me” issues
· To communicate the financial impact of the merger/acquisition
· To provide reassurance and commitment to continued partnerships ...
How to Communicate Mergers or Acquisitions to Your Customers
Examples of communications to customers from three different acquirers and deals.
Excerpt from first example:
T4 has recently announced its agreement to purchase OCN to become one of the foremost business service providers in North America. This provides our customers the opportunity to access an enhanced service portfolio over a larger geographic area. T4 is and will remain committed to supporting our customers’ mission critical requirements ...
Private Equity Acquisition - Talking Points and Answers to Employee FAQs
Talking Points for Executives at Employee Meetings
Answers to Employee FAQs
Excerpt from Talking Points for Executives at Employee Meetings
- Welcome everyone! It’s a pleasure to meet with you today. We’ve invited you here to celebrate the announcement of our acquisition by a highly regarded, successful private equity firm,____________.
- Our acquirer provides management and oversight for the multiple businesses in their portfolio, which will soon include our company.
- I’d like to remind you that the deal has only been announced. It has not closed. We anticipate closing the deal by year-end, but it’s not final yet. We’ll let you know as soon as the contract is signed.
- We’re keeping our company name and brand. Our sterling reputation for quality products and excellent service will help us retain existing customers and acquire new ones.
Answers to Employee Post-Merger Integration Questions
Answers to 43 common frequently asked questions by employees on the front-end of an post-merger integration.
- Will offices or other facilities be closed?
For the time being there will be no changes and we will continue to go to market as we have in the past. We will begin immediately to get to know each other and develop plans to combine our businesses in the most effective way ...
CEO Letter to Employees about Acquisition
Example of a CEO Letter to Employees in a Downloadable, Easy-to-Customize Word File
TO: All Employees
SUBJECT: Acquisition by ABA
Today we announced that OCN Inc. has agreed to be acquired by ABA. Upon closure of the deal, OCN will become part of the ABAs worldwide organization. Our combined operations will have revenue of nearly $500 million and employ approximately ...
Acquisition Announcement Letter to Employees
Today marks a historic and exciting milestone for all of us: the transaction to combine the Acquirer and Acquired Co. is complete. Together, we will form a stronger business, drive further growth and innovation, and create more value for our employees, customers and stakeholders.
Acquirer and Acquired Co. have been on parallel tracks to ...
Welcome Letter to Employees After an Acquisition
TO: Acquired Co. and Acquirer Employees
Today, we have completed the acquisition of Acquired Co. We have the unique opportunity to build upon our complementary portfolio, strong businesses, recognized brands and quality products to become one of the leading companies in our industry. To our newest employees, let me be the first to welcome you to Acquirer...
Company Merger Announcement Letter to Employees
Today, we announce exciting news: Company A has completed its with Company B. This is an important day for our organization and one that ensures we remain a highly competitive global company.
We plan to quickly integrate the company and finalize the corporate organization structure within the next 90 days. The success of our integration effort will be driven by how effectively our employees work together to deliver value to our customers and results to our bottom line ...
Merger Announcement Letter to Employees
SUBJECT: Merger Announcement
Acquirer, Inc. announces that the merger with Acquiree, Inc. is now complete. Today marks the beginning of a new era for our united companies.
News of this merger is very positive for our customers, our employees, and our communities. The combination of our companies brings ...
Acquisition Letter to Customers
Today, we announce exciting news: Company A has completed its acquisition of Company B. This combination creates an organization even better able to serve customers and compete in the global marketplace.
Our new name is Company AB and our company's website is now CompanyAB.com. The name change symbolizes our intention to broader our business platform and deliver more value to our customers.
We know our success is dependent on your success, and we are excited about what the new Company AB has to offer:
Company Merger Letter to Customers
We are delighted to inform you that our company is merging with Dodson, Inc., a leader in our industry. There will be minimal disruptions to our business due to the change in ownership. Our leadership team, our headquarters, and our products will remain the same. That means no interruptions in service to you.
Our new owner has the funding to grow our business in a way that will help us realize our full potential and serve you even better in the future ...
Letter to Customers After an Acquisition
We have announced exciting news: Acquirer and Acquired Co. have completed the transaction to merge our operations.
This is a game-changing combination which will provide us with the scale, geographic reach, and capabilities to solidify our position as a leading provider of materials in our industry. Going forward, you will receive even more value from our products:
- We will have a greater portfolio of quality products and a family of brands as well as increased capabilities to innovate superior products and systems
- We will tap into Acquired Co.’s industry-leading technology ...
Acquisition Announcement to Suppliers and Answers to Supplier FAQs
Acquisition Announcement to Suppliers
Answers to Supplier FAQs
Excerpt from Supplier FAQs
- What is the purpose for Global Procurement?
To provide the largest volume opportunity for our supplier business partners. We believe that with larger volumes the supply base’s manufacturing cost will be lower, thereby reducing our cost.
- What are the short and long-term implications?
Short Term - We will be focused on reducing our supply base to maximize the volume for selected suppliers. Longer Term - We will work to integrate more with our smaller supply base, and to learn how to combine our resources with those of our suppliers. This will include logistics ...
Company Merger Letter to Vendors
Dear Valued Supplier,
Today, we announce exciting news: Company A has completed its acquisition of (merger with) Company B. This combination creates an organization even better able to serve customers and compete in the global marketplace.
Our new name is Company AB and our company's website is now CompanyAB.com. The name change symbolizes our intention to broaden our business platform and deliver more value to our customers.
We are excited about what the new Company AB has to offer: . . .
M&A Communication Planning Matrix
All current contracts remain in force and will be honored. No interruption in invoicing or bill paying process. All valid outstanding invoices will be paid timely.
No changes in existing organization, all current management positions are unchanged. Merger is good for the business and will stimulate growth, but there is work to do to integrate with new entity. Function/ department specific message as determined by responsible Executive Committee member. Key message point to be delivered to employees in groups and reinforced in
Merger will strengthen company and add to its capability to deliver top products ...
Human Resources M&A Survey on Resources Needed
Three-page HR survey tool covering 10 key questions.
1. Please describe the anticipated level of change from the merger in your region:
a. No change
b. Minimal change
c. Moderate change
d. Significant change
e. Unable to anticipate level of change at this time
Stakeholder Analysis Template for a Post Merger Integration
Spreadsheet that includes the following columns for each stakeholder group:
- Stakeholder concerns
- Ability to influence
- Change impact
- Resource requirements
M&A Day 1 Onboarding Guide
Today, marks the beginning of our new organization. This Day 1 Onboarding Guide is designed to help you understand changes that are taking place (or will take place) and any actions you may need to take.
The purpose of this guide is to explain:
- What you need to know now (Now: this week)
- What you'll need to know and do in the very near future
- When other changes will take place and when you can expect to hear more about them
You will continue to do your job the same way you did before close. As we continue to integrate our organizations, we will inform you of changes, and if your assistance is needed. This guide covers company-wide information. Your manager will cover information specific to your function.
The Four Post-Merger Integration Talent Retention Planning Steps
During mergers, people reexamine how the organization being created fits with their personal goals and ideals. As leaders, it is important to identify those individuals most critical to the success of the merger and “re-recruit” them to stay. This document is intended to give leaders a framework for organizing their thoughts on re-recruitment.
Communication of New Benefits Plan Post-Acquisition
- Communication of New Benefits Plan
- Talking Points
- Timeline for Communicating Benefits Program
Post-Merger Integration Compensation, Benefits, and Policy Changes
Acquiree's Pre-Merger Compensation and Benefits Plan and the Acquirer's Post-Merger Changes in 40 Areas:
- Salary Plans
- Incentive Plans (Cash)
- Restricted Stock
- Exempt Overtime
- Overtime Meals
- Call-Out Pay
- Shift Differential
- Cafeteria Plan ...
Human Resources Acquisition Integration Plan
20-page detailed Human Resources Acquisition Integration Plan that covers:
- Organization Comparative Analysis: What are the key similarities and differences between the 2 organizations? How do we operate currently?
- Future State Recommendation: How will we operate in the future?
- Day 1 Items: What actions do we need to take at close?
- Risk Analysis: What are the risks associated with transition?
Early Wins: Are there any immediate actions we can take to demonstrate benefits and success?
- Outstanding Issues & Decisions: What open issues still need to be resolved in order to realize transition?
- Communication Plan: What needs to be communicated (when & to whom) regarding the decisions that have been made?
Human Resources Post-Merger Integration Project Plan
The Human Resources Post-Merger Integration Project Plan covers tasks for organization planning, policies, benefits, communication, compensation, and HRIS systems.
Excerpt from Plan
|Initiative / Task Name|
|Establish HR workstream leader|
|Select HR workstream participants|
|Recruit core team|
|Establish HR workstream meeting schedules|
|Cadence and frequency|
|Develop HR workstream detailed plan|
|Establish HR workstream reporting (task / milestone status)|
|Updates to HR workstream plans / dashboard ...|
A Primer on Talent Assessment and Retention
“AMA study found that 25% of top performers leave within 90 days of major change event”
I. Reasons Why Talent Leaves:
- Targeted by recruiters/competition
- Net/net perceive they are “worse off”
- Perception of loss of sponsor/access to key decision makers
- Changes to reporting relationships/key job responsibilities
- Loss of compensation/benefits
- Perception job will not meet career goals
II. Talent Assessment: ...
Example of Employee Communication about Post-Merger Jobs
Although the integration will bring some job eliminations and job changes, the majority of roles within the combined organization will not be impacted. A necessary part of any integration is defining the new organization and opportunities as well as eliminating duplicate roles. When this occurs, we will communicate with impacted employees their specific options.
Our goal is to share the majority of organizational decisions within 90 days after Close ...
M&A HR Due Diligence: Side-by-Side Comparison of the HR Programs
11-page comprehensive comparison of HR Programs of the Acquirer and Acquiree in 125 Areas.
The programs are grouped into the following categories:
- Defined Benefit Plans
- Retiree Medical Plan
- Defined Contribution Plan
- Health And Welfare Plans
- Career Development
M&A HR Due Diligence Tool
9-page list of data to gather and assess HR
Identify potential synergies/opportunities in these categories:
- Management Team
- Compensation and Benefits
- Recruiting ...
Employee Retention Bonus Agreement
This Retention Bonus Agreement (the "Agreement") is made and entered into effective as of October 1, 2030 (the 'Effective Date"), by and between John Doe (the "Employee") and ABC, Inc. (the "Company").
A. The Company has announced the execution of an Agreement and Plan of Merger pursuant to which the Company may be acquired by another company. The Board of Directors of the Company (the "Board") recognizes that such announcement can be a distraction to the Employee and can cause the Employee to consider alternative employment opportunities. The Board has determined that it is in the best interests of the Company and its stockholders ...
Staffing and Retention HR Checklist for a Post-Merger Integration
Assessment of Turnover and Discussion of Retention Needs
- Recent turnover?
- Status of Critical Operational Talent list?
- When will Critical Operational Talent discussions begin?
Status update on memo regarding org. design and synergies
- Start/end date to submit final synergy templates to the IMO?
- Finance Team’s/ Staffing & Retention Team’s involvement in the org. design/synergy refinement process?
- Process/instructions for org. design?
- How many tiers in entire organization?
- Review and approval of org. design and final synergy templates?
- All components drafted? Content complete and stable?
- Formatted for ease of use?
- Approved by legal of both companies? (Outside legal approval required?)
- Produced? o Approved by Core Team? o Distributed to MT?
- How/when will the Staffing Toolkit be distributed to hiring managers below Tier 2?
Status Update on Tier 2 Interviews and Selection ...
Integration Management Office Tools
- Day 1 Communication Plan
- Communication Planning Template
- Cross Project Coordination Template
- Integration FAQ
- Issue Escalation Template
- Integration Scorecard Tool
- Post Integration Survey
- A Primer on Governance
- Quick Wins Tool
- Risk Management Template
- Sample Welcome Letter
- IMO Best Practices
- Facility Data Sheet
- Action Items
- Lane Reporting Template
- Project Close-out and Lessons Learned
Post-Merger Integration RACI Matrix
|Steering Com.||IMO||Funct. Teams||Synergy Owners||Accounting|
|Drives development of the overall integration plan including all the integration projects, communication plans, and achievement of synergy benefits||I||R/A||C||C|
|Defines and manages integration processes including functional work plan reviews, cross-functional collaborations, issue management ...||I||R/A||I||I|
M&A Team Roles and M&A Leaders During an Integration
The Steering Committee is typically made up of two to seven senior executives from both companies. Members serve in an oversight role for the entire M&A integration by providing sponsorship, making key strategic decisions, and approving integration plans.
The Integration Management Office (IMO) is led by the Integration Manager, a senior executive in the acquiring firm. The Integration Manager is responsible for facilitating the work of the Integration Management Office, providing guidance and direction to the Work Streams, and reporting status to the Steering Committee. The Integration Manager will spend 80- 100% of their time in this role.
Integration Management Office Team Members ...
M&A Clean Teams: Competitively Sensitive Information
- Industry reports or analysis prepared by third parties
- General information regarding current products and services
- Historical aggregated financial data, including aggregate revenues
- Information regarding the organisation of systems and processes (e.g. "back office" systems and processes like billing, IT and accounting)
- General information on health, safety and environmental matters
- General information on corporate structure and the structure of management and personnel
- Information that is in the public domain
Clean Team ...
Invitation to Functional Team Leaders and Overview of Integration
Two letters, one from the CEO and and the other from the Integration Manager, emailed to team leaders that provide information on the role of team leaders, the hierarchy of teams, the mission, team guidelines, synergy targets, scope of the integration, meeting schedule, and team launch meeting.
Finance Team Post-Merger Integration Charter
To ensure the full and seamless integration of target’s finance operations into Buyer’s finance organization by Day 90 post-Close. We will utilize best practices, regardless of origin, and act with speed to capture operational and transactional value.
Our key objectives are:
- To put in place the appropriate financial measures to gain control of the business on Day1, creating a compliant control environment, ensuring reporting accuracy, and consolidating general ledger ...
8 Workstream Post-Merger Integration Charters
8 Carve-Out Workstream Charters: Finance, Sales, IT, Legal, Manufacturing, Divestment, HR, & Communications
Finance Integration Charter
1. Budget Process
2. Insurance Coverage
3. Limits of Authority
4. Accounting Policies
5. Reporting, process & tools
6. Purchase Price Accounting Exercise
Out of Scope
Tax and structuring activities ...
How to Create an M&A Integration Team Charter
Instructions on how to create charters to document the mission, goals, scope, boundaries, and deliverables of each team. Plus a 2-page charter example and 2-page Word template.
Case Study Exercise - Creating an HR Integration Team Charter
- Integrate compensation, benefits, stock options plans, employee development, and recruiting & retention processes. Address employee issues about the integration in a highly responsive, timely manner. Stay within budget allocated to the HR Task Force (which is to be determined).
Case Study Exercise - Creating a Product Development Integration Team Charter
- Integrate software development efforts. Improve quality and instill process discipline into operations.
Case Study Exercise - Creating an Information Technology Integration Team Charter
- Integrate IT infrastructure as quickly as possible to support customers and core business processes. Also, integrate IT systems to enable SOX compliance.
Operating Style Analysis (Part I)
- What aspects of the way your organization operates contribute most to its success/effectiveness?
- What characteristics of the way your company operates most hamper or interfere with its ability to compete?
- List the company’s operating strengths. (What does it do best?)
- What would you identify as the company’s operating weaknesses? (Where is the company most vulnerable or least effective?) ...
Operating Style Analysis (Part II)
1. Spending Habits: Frugal or Free Spending
Comments regarding this issue: __________________________________________
2. Decision-Making Process: Deliberate or Expeditious
Comments regarding this issue: __________________________________________
3. Power and Authority ...
Cultural Due Diligence Interview Results
1. How do people feel about being merged/acquired?
The corporate perspective is different from the field’s perspective. Here at headquarters the questions are, “Is there room at the inn?” and “Will I go to Atlanta?” In the field, people are wondering if they will have to work for less money. Some are angry that it came to this. Did the CEO and the SVP just sell us out? People’s emotions run the gamut from “How could you do this?” to “What took you so long?”
It’s no shock that we merged, but people are set back on their heels that it is this acquirer...
M&A Culture Assessment
Listed below are a number of cultural dimensions and indices that are organized across a continuum.
Step 1: Review each cultural characteristic and place an A in the column that most closely represents your perception of the Acquirer’s culture.
Step 2: Place B in the column that most closely represents the Acquired Company’s current culture.
Step 3: Calculate the absolute difference between each rating to determine the largest culture gaps ...