An M&A integration playbook is a how-to step-by-step operating manual for a post-merger integration. It clarifies what needs to be done, by whom, and by when. Effective playbooks bring consistency, predictability, and reliability to the integration process and shorten the learning curve for team members.
We offer 27 post-merger integration playbooks from acquisitions ranging in value from $2 million to $20 billion. The pdf samples of the free acquisition integration playbooks are from our client engagements. Client names and client-specific details have been removed.
PRITCHETT's Merger Integration Certification Workshop Attendees and Website Subscribers can download every playbook in their entirety. They can also access over 100 M&A integration presentations, 100 tools, 30 checklists, 100 articles, plus assessments, videos, webinars, research, and templates on MergerIntegration.com.
M&A Integration Playbook - $10 Billion AcquisitionFree Sample
The free sample pdf is an excerpt from the playbook. The full unredacted playbook in Excel is available to Merger Integration Certification Workshop attendees and MergerIntegration.com subscribers.
The 61-page M&A integration playbook specifies over 900 integration tasks for the following work streams:
Finance: Treasury | SAP Integration | Financial Close | Operational Reporting | Financial Reporting | Tax | Inventory Accounting | Acquisition Process | Investor Relations | Synergy Tracking | Organization Design
Information Technology: Infrastructure | IT Integration Program | Day 1 | HR | Legal | Corporate | Organizational Structure | Finance
Human Resources ...
Acquisition Integration Playbook - $8 Billion DealFree Sample
The free sample pdf is an excerpt from the playbook. The full unredacted playbook in Word is available to Merger Integration Certification Workshop attendees and MergerIntegration.com subscribers.
The Acquisition Integration playbook includes the following nine sections:
Post-Merger Integration 100-Day Plan from $90 Million Acquisition PlaybookFree Sample
This 53-page post-merger integration 100-day plan provides tasks and detailed checklists for these integration work streams:
- Due Diligence
- Human Resources
- Business Development
Everything is tied together in easily customizable excel spreadsheets that auto-calculate total budget costs and synergies. Plus, the documents auto-display timing of all major activities on Gantt charts.
M&A Integration Playbook for Integration ManagersFree Sample
The Playbook defines the role and priorities of Integration Managers and provides tools to help them execute their responsibilities.
The Integration Manager is primarily responsible for leading the Integration Management Office (IMO) and coordinating the activities of the integration. This person should be employed by the acquiring company and appointed at least two months prior to close.
Responsibilities of IMO (and Integration Manager)
- Set Up Governance: Form teams and set up hierarchy for the integration project.
- Oversee Development of Team Charters: Establish the integration scope for each team.
- Achieve “Early Wins”: Design successes early in the integration process to create positive momentum.
- Develop Communication Strategy: Determine the communications that must be sent on a regular basis to keep people informed ...
Information Technology Post-Merger Integration PlaybookFree Sample
Information Technology High-Level Plan (Section 1)
Information Technology Detailed Plan (Section 2)
M&A Employee Retention PlaybookFree Sample
Minimizing Employee Losses
People Integration Strategy
Timing of Retention Phases
- Phase 1
- Phase 2
- Phase 3
- Retention Matrix
- Understand Employee’s Motivators
- Develop and Execute an Action Plan to Address Motivators
- Sign Up and Train Key Recruiters Early ...
M&A HR Playbooks from 3 Different IntegrationsFree Sample
22-page HR M&A Playbook when printed that includes 3 plans from 3 different actual integrations. Plans cover over 350 tasks/initiatives.
Excerpt from 1st M&A Plan
|Current Org Structures Data||Gather Top Levels Organisation Stuctures for both sides & conduct joint review to understand the rationale of the current org structures||None|
|Prepare People data to enable rapid data analysis and actions from Day 1 onwards||Create a template for gathering all relevant employee information from both sides ...|
M&A Finance Day 100 Integration PlanFree Sample
Over 110 Finance initiatives/tasks to be completed in the first 100 days after close.
Determine org chart for F&A
Determine employee retention plan for F&A
Obtain inventory of Company B accounting policies
Determine plan for migrating Company B to Company A policy & procedures
Apply Company A's Management Reporting structure to Company B
Map chart of accounts
Obtain a closing timetable for Company B ...
HR M&A Integration Compensation & Benefits Playbook
M&A Integration Compensation & Benefits Playbook covers over 190 tasks grouped in these categories:
1.0 Integrate two companies on one base pay program
2.0 Integrate 2 companies to same annual bonus programs
3.0 Integrate Acquiree employees to Acquirer equity program
4.0 Integrate 2 companies to same miscellaneous compensation policies
5.0 Other Issues
1.0 Retirement - Pension, 401(k), and Retiree Welfare Plans
2.0 Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
3.0 Life, AD&D, SLTD,LTD, Long-Term Care, and BTA Insurance ...
M&A Integration Playbook - $5 Million Deal
Approach to The Integration Project
Identify Steering Committee and IMO
Relationship Between SC and IMO
Functional Integration Team
Integration Team Kick-Off
Chartering Integration Team
Develop Work Plan ...
Sales and Marketing M&A Integration Playbook - $25 Million Acquisition
Recommends 200 activities including:
- Accessing target's selling process
- Identifying overlap in product and service offerings
- Integration proposal process
- Developing transition plan
- Determining changes to brands
- Identifying new customer target opportunities
- Developing plan to capture synergies
- Harmonizing performance measures
- Establishing customer retention program
Day 1 Human Resources M&A Integration Playbook
Covers 36 HR workstreams and more than 200 actions. Plus, includes key risks and interdependencies.
- Workers Comp.
- Health and Dental
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Organization Structure
- Travel ...
Information Technology Plans from 4 M&A Integration Playbooks
The four information technology integration plans are from $90 million, $2 billion, and $25 billion deals plus one small cross-border transaction.
The full Excel version is available to MergerIntegration.com subscribers and Merger Integration Certification Workshop attendees.
Day 1 M&A Playbook: Employee Communications - $1 Billion AcquisitionFree Sample
Sixteen page document that includes answers to seventy-five employee FAQs, plus communication guidelines, and important talking points and messages.
|Key Messages for Employee||4|
|Employee Talking Points||5|
|Impact on Operations||11|
|Compensation, Benefits, and Incentives||13|
|Sales Professionals FAQ||15|
|Question Specific to New Employees||16|
Day 1 M&A Playbook: Customer Communications - $1.0 Billion Acquisition
Easily customized Word document that includes answers to FAQs, sample letters to customers, and critical talking points and messages.
Customer Communication Guidelines (excerpt from page 3)
- Adhere to the information set forth in these documents and do not elaborate or expand upon the information provided.
- If a customer asks a question that is not included in these materials, it is likely something we cannot answer at this time. Capture the customer’s question and pass it to your manager.
- Maintain the very highest ethical standards and remain focused, as always, on serving the needs of our customers.
- Do not call out comparisons to other industry mergers or acquisitions.
- Do not speculate on the future state, leadership, outcome and people ...
Day 1 M&A Playbook: Supplier Communications - $1.0 Billion Acquisition
Includes answers to FAQs, sample letters to suppliers, and important talking points and messages.
Answers to 13 Supplier Frequently Asked Questions
Will my point of contact at Company change?
There are no changes today; however, if there are changes as we work to integrate the two companies, we will inform you as quickly as possible. Our relationship with you remains a priority.
What is going to change?
For the time being, please continue to work with us as you have in the past. Company and Target will keep existing practices in place for the short-term. As we work to integrate the two companies, we expect to identify ways to consolidate and streamline our policies and practices. But until advised further please continue to do things the same as you do today. Prior to any change we will inform you of the changes ...
Customer Communications M&A Playbook - $95 Million AcquisitionFree Sample
What is the purpose of this Playbook?
The 10-page playbook was developed to help customer-facing employees share accurate, timely, and consistent information with their customers about Acquirer’s acquisition of Acquired Co.
What are materials in this playbook?
The following documents are for internal use only. Do not distribute these materials to anyone outside the company:
- Customer Key Messages
- Customer Talking Points
- FAQs: Customer Facing Employees
- FAQs: Customers and Distributors
These documents may be tailored and shared with customers, as approved by your respective business sales & marketing organizations:
- Customer Letter
- Customer Letter Attachment
Supplier M&A Communications Playbook - $240 Million Acquisition
Six pages of communication guidance for supplier-facing teams that includes key messages, talking points, sample supplier letter, and supplier FAQs with answers.
Supplier Key Messages
- Our mission is to create a great place to work for our team members, great products and partnerships with our customers and suppliers across the markets we serve, and a great business that supports local economies.
- Nothing changes in the near term.
- We will act with purpose, focus and transparency to integrate our two companies working closely with our stakeholders every step of the way.
- Our relationship with our suppliers is critical to our future success. Our focus on delivering the best products and services to our customers and maintaining strong supplier partnerships ...
M&A Integration Communications Playbook - $75 Million Acquisition
Covers all the tasks acquirers should follow to ensure all constituencies, including customers, employees, and investor relations, are well informed. An owner, due date, and priority are assigned to each task.
- Develop special communications/plan for key customers/contracts, prepare talking points
- Develop a plan to manage employee expectations / reactions
- Identify ways to promote the Acquired Co's image within the acquirer
- Identify areas subject to name or identity change, plan process of change over and begin ordering new stationary, supplies, signs, banners, business cards, company forms, etc.
- Update communications guidelines as necessary
- Develop and conduct communication training for the Implementation Team to ensure consistent messages
- Identify list of personnel authorized to make public statements
- Work with Human Resources and Communications counterpart to develop key HR strategies for the communications group ...
Communications Playbook: Media, Social Media, & Websites - $76 Million Acquisition
Five-page playbook covers media plan, talking points, letter to state and local officials, and posts for social and media websites.
Provide an image announcing the deal is complete, along with the following text:
Acquired Co. has recently become part of the Acquirer Group. For more information about Acquirer including its acquisition of Acquired Co., please visit Acquirer.com.
Twitter Post: Provide standard text that suppliers, customers, and brand sites can retweet or copy
It’s official! @acquirer has completed its acquisition of Acquired Co.. #gamechanger #acquirer #our industry [link to press release]
Day One M&A Communications Playbook - $25 Million Acquisition
Day 1 M&A Communication Plan
Covers 150 communication tasks in areas such as Message Development, Logistics, Branding, Signage, Intranet/ IT Updates, Key Messages and Internal FAQ, Day One Announcement, Video Production, Intranet/ IT Updates, Employee Town Halls, Give-aways, Management Tour to Sites, Press Materials, Media Outreach, Website Updates, Stakeholder Outreach, Public Affairs Outreach, and Issues Plan.