M&A Day 1 is the first full business day after ownership is transferred.
How well Day 1 is managed sets the tone for the rest of the M&A integration. The first day should inspire stakeholders' confidence in the acquirer. It is a statement about the acquirer's ability to execute.
This section features many plans, presentations, checklists, and playbooks to help acquirers prepare for Day 1 and educate their people on how to effectively communicate with employees, customers, and vendors about the acquisition.
The Power of "Opening Moves
The Power of "Opening Moves"
So the deal closes. It’s “Day 1.” Are you ready for one of management’s big moments …
Day 1 Plans and Presentations
M&A Day One Integration
- Day 1 Implementation
- What Must Happen on Day 1
- Three Phases of Integrations
- Managing Expectations
- HR: Day 1
- Headquarters Day 1 Event Schedule
- They Won at HQ Will Be Telecast Worldwide
- They Won Employee Welcome Package
- Guidance for Field Force and Shift Workers
- IT Accessibility for Acquiree On Day 1
Post-Merger Integration Communications Plan for Day 1
- Communications Plan
- Pre-Close Communications Meeting
- Pre-Close Communications Meeting Agenda
- Key Events
- Day1 Town Hall Webcast
- Week 1 Onwards - Group Function Engagement
- Senior Leadership Meeting
- Key Messages
- All Employees
- Manufacturing – Plant Employees
- Homepage Template
M&A Day 1 Readiness: Dry Run Session
- Meeting Objectives
- Drive Run Rolls Detailed Process for Scenario Dry Runs
- Exit Criteria
- 2nd Day Feedback Session
- Process Flow - The Path of The Scenario
- Variables Description
- Framework - Defining the Scenarios
- Additional Scenarios to Test
- Scenario Number 1 - XM Satellite Radio
- Scenario Number 2 - Citigroup , Inc.
- Scenario Number 3 - Royal Bank of Canada
- Documentation Requirements
- Gap Identification and Remediation Template
- Outlier Template
- New / Modified Plans
- Parking Lot Template
M&A Day 1 Mandatory Initiatives by Work Stream
- Day 1 Mandatories Summary
- Day One Mandatories
- IT Day 1 Status
- East Operations
- West Operations
- Real Estate
M&A Day 1 Answers to Employee Frequently Asked Questions
Excerpt from Answers to Employees FAQs
- Is the purchase/sale of Acquiree to Acquirer finalized?
Yes. The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and Acquirer have entered into an agreement which permitted the acquisition to proceed. The Acquirer and Acquiree have both received Board and Shareholder approval and we have officially closed the deal.
- What Acquiree offices are included in the sale?
All Acquiree’s operations in North America, Europe, and Asia are included in the deal..
M&A Day 1 Onboarding Guide
Today, marks the beginning of our new organization. This Day 1 Onboarding Guide is designed to help you understand changes that are taking place (or will take place) and any actions you may need to take.
The purpose of this guide is to explain:
- What you need to know now (Now: this week)
- What you'll need to know and do in the very near future
- When other changes will take place and when you can expect to hear more about them
You will continue to do your job the same way you did before close. As we continue to integrate our organizations, we will inform you of changes, and if your assistance is needed. This guide covers company-wide information. Your manager will cover information specific to your function.
Day One M&A Communications Playbook - $25 Million Acquisition
Day 1 M&A Communication Plan
Covers 150 communication tasks in areas such as Message Development, Logistics, Branding, Signage, Intranet/ IT Updates, Key Messages and Internal FAQ, Day One Announcement, Video Production, Intranet/ IT Updates, Employee Town Halls, Give-aways, Management Tour to Sites, Press Materials, Media Outreach, Website Updates, Stakeholder Outreach, Public Affairs Outreach, and Issues Plan.
M&A Integration Day 1 Plan
- Key Milestones
- April 19 Is the Day We Are One
- Event Schedule April 20 And 21
- Agenda for Global Town Hall
- Guidance for Field Force and Shift Workers
- Day One Employee Kits for Local Implementation
- Day One Employee Welcome Package for All Employees
- Day One Reporting Lines Reflected Minimal Change
- Pay and Benefits “Grandfathered“ Until January 26
- Exceptions 2 “Grandfathering“
Day One Post Merger Integration Overview
Day 1 Welcome Packets
Message from CEO | Safety Overview | Basic FAQs | New Company Infographic | Company Vision | Email structure | FAQ process | Acquirer Swag | Pay & Benefits reminder | Checklist | What to expect soon | IT Access …
Day 1 M&A Communications
Deliverable and Spokespeople
- Employee Playbook - Managers (Acquirer & Acquired Co.)
- Customer Playbook - Sales & Marketing Organizations (Acquirer & Acq. Co.)
- Supplier Playbook - Supplier-Facing Teams (Acquirer & Acq. Co.)
- Welcome Week Playbook - Welcome Week Teams …
Day 1 Post Merger Integration Plan
Day Before Close
Day 1 Upon Completion of Close
Sample Day 1 Run of Show
Day 1 + Welcome Week Strawman
Day -3 Through Day 1 M&A Communications Plan
- FTC gives indication that clearance is likely
- Confirm all final communication documents are uploaded to SmartSheet
- FTC Clears transaction to close
- Press release related to HSR completion
- Issue Corporate Acquired Co Investors Press Release ...
Acquisition Signing Day Communications Schedule
- Steering Committee Call to Review Communication Plan
- Acquirer Press Release Distribution
- Acquired Co. Press Release Distribution
- Send BU Meeting Invites
- BU Employee Calls
- BU Customer Calls
- BU Customer Email
- Supplier Calls …
M&A Communications Timelines
Day 1 M&A Communications Objectives
– Mark the completion of the transaction as an opportunity to honor the past and recognize the contributions of the employees
– Promote the strengths and benefits of the new company, its brand and growth strategy …
Day 1 Plan by Site and Function
Day 1 Event
What will the celebration consist of? | How many attending? | Dialing in? | Who will make presentations? | Information welcome packets? | Who will create? | Audio/visual equipment required? | Signage changed? | Who will remove/install? | What will employees receive on Day 1? (Badges, IDs, Business Cards, Phone Cards, Credit Cards, Building/Parking Access Cards, etc.) …
Day 1 Checklists
M&A Day 1 Readiness Checklist
Checklist of 270 tasks.
|Status||Preparation Completed by Day 1|
|On Track||Playbooks: SC Review|
|On Track||Corporate communications / IR review|
|On Track||Supplier-facing Webcast|
|On Track||Employee-facing webcast with HR professionals|
|On Track||Day 1 Timeline Completed|
|On Track||Meet with Heads and Leads to incorporate "alignment" tactics for Day 1|
Post-Merger Integration Day 1 Checklist: Over 500 Tasks by Work Stream
Workstreams include: Finance, Communications, Human Resources, Safety, Information Technology, R&D, and Procurement
Day 1 Finance:
- Coordinate with IT and business units regarding closing of periods and end of period processing
- Ensure Acquired Co. Letters of Credit remain in place under new banking arrangements
- Communicate Acquirer limits of authority to Acquired Co.
- Execute funds transfer at close
- Provide Acquired Co. exposure and claim data to Acquirer brokers to confirm existing carriers will cover acquisition on Day 1
- Confirm no change in control issues and existing carrier will continue coverage and list Acquirer as named insured on all policies as back up ...
Day 1 M&A Integration Checklist
Day 1 Checklist in Excel of 131 tasks for:
- Financial System Integration
- Human Resources
- It Infrastructure
- Purchasing /Supply Chain Management
- Sales and Business Development
- Project Operations
- Real Estate
Post-Merger Integration Day 1 Deliverables Checklist
Day 1 Deliverables
Day 1 Preparation
Detailed employee census, access to Acquired Co. leadership
Seamless day 1
Access to Acquired Co. systems and analysis of how they do things, review change in control
Change in control
All change in control issues and potential challenges resolved (Banking, Insurance, etc)
Review staffing, Acquired Co. & Acquirer practices around tax (payroll, S&U, income, property)
SOP for finance
Limits of authority, accounting methodology/framework, month-end procedures & etc.
Day 1 Playbooks
Day 1 M&A Playbook: Employee Communications - $1 Billion Acquisition
Sixteen page document that includes answers to seventy-five employee FAQs, plus communication guidelines, and important talking points and messages.
|Key Messages for Employee||4|
|Employee Talking Points||5|
|Impact on Operations||11|
|Compensation, Benefits, and Incentives||13|
|Sales Professionals FAQ||15|
|Question Specific to New Employees||16|
Day 1 Human Resources M&A Integration Playbook
Covers 36 HR workstreams and more than 200 actions. Plus, includes key risks and interdependencies.
- Workers Comp.
- Health and Dental
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Organization Structure
- Travel ...
Day 1 M&A Playbook: Supplier Communications - $1.0 Billion Acquisition
Includes answers to FAQs, sample letters to suppliers, and important talking points and messages.
Answers to 13 Supplier Frequently Asked Questions
Will my point of contact at Company change?
There are no changes today; however, if there are changes as we work to integrate the two companies, we will inform you as quickly as possible. Our relationship with you remains a priority.
What is going to change?
For the time being, please continue to work with us as you have in the past. Company and Target will keep existing practices in place for the short-term. As we work to integrate the two companies, we expect to identify ways to consolidate and streamline our policies and practices. But until advised further please continue to do things the same as you do today. Prior to any change we will inform you of the changes ...
Day 1 M&A Playbook: Customer Communications - $1.0 Billion Acquisition
Easily customized Word document that includes answers to FAQs, sample letters to customers, and critical talking points and messages.
Customer Communication Guidelines (excerpt from page 3)
- Adhere to the information set forth in these documents and do not elaborate or expand upon the information provided.
- If a customer asks a question that is not included in these materials, it is likely something we cannot answer at this time. Capture the customer’s question and pass it to your manager.
- Maintain the very highest ethical standards and remain focused, as always, on serving the needs of our customers.
- Do not call out comparisons to other industry mergers or acquisitions.
- Do not speculate on the future state, leadership, outcome and people ...