M&A Cost Synergies Excel Template Plus Example of Completed Template
Instructions for Cost Synergy Template
1) Log each integration activity that increases or decreases headcount and/or expenses with projected time frames.
2) Use "Assumptions and Notes" to describe each integration activity in more detail.
3) Notes regarding general accounting treatment:
- Severance for reductions in Acquiree positions are generally capitalized as part of the purchase price (if the reduction is made within one year).
- Severance for reductions in Acquirer positions are expensed when employees are notified.
- Stay bonuses are expensed over the period teammate is required to work.
- Costs related to Acquiree facilities that will no longer be utilized are generally capitalized as part of the purchase price (if the move is made within one year).
- Costs related to Acquirer facilities are expensed.
- Potential sub-lease income offsets costs recorded.
- May be some exceptions ...