Post-Merger Integration Teams & Roles
Post-Merger Integration Framework
- Integration Vision and Strategy
- Integration Guiding Principles
- Integration Objectives
- Integration Process
- Integration Phases ...
- NewCo Vision
- Guiding Principles
- Steering Committee: Roles and Responsibilities
- IMO: Roles and Responsibilities
- Team Leads: Roles and Responsibilities
- Integration Manager: Selection Criteria
- Steering Committee: Key Planning Deliverables
- Integration – Weekly Meeting Process
Invitation to Functional Team Leaders and Overview of Integration
Two letters, one from the CEO and and the other from the Integration Manager, emailed to team leaders that provide information on the role of team leaders, the hierarchy of teams, the mission, team guidelines, synergy targets, scope of the integration, meeting schedule, and team launch meeting.
An Effective Mergers & Acquisitions Team Structure
The Integration Management Office (IMO) consisting of some three to five full-time people, is the real workhorse responsible for driving the integration forward and keeping good project-management discipline in place ...
A Primer on M&A Integration Governance
Governance is the project management structure/hierarchy that helps ensure the integration is completed on time within budget and achieves its other desired goals. The proper amount of governance is a function of many variables including the complexity and objectives of the integration, and the level of integration experience of team members …
M&A Team Roles and M&A Leaders During an Integration
The Steering Committee is typically made up of two to seven senior executives from both companies. Members serve in an oversight role for the entire M&A integration by providing sponsorship, making key strategic decisions, and approving integration plans.
The Integration Management Office (IMO) is led by the Integration Manager, a senior executive in the acquiring firm. The Integration Manager is responsible for facilitating the work of the Integration Management Office, providing guidance and direction to the Work Streams, and reporting status to the Steering Committee. The Integration Manager will spend 80- 100% of their time in this role.
Integration Management Office Team Members ...
Post-Merger Integration Teams: Deliverables, Planning, and Reporting
Functional M&A Integration Deliverables
- Project Definition Document (for any projects not part of a program)
- Project Plans (for any projects not part of a program)
- Project Cost Estimate (for any projects not part of a program)
- Functional Integration Action Plan Template …
M&A Integration Governance Model
Presentation covers merger integration governance structure, responsibilities, meeting cadence and times.
- Provide strategic direction and ongoing guidance of the integration scope of work
- Discuss escalations, risks/issues, provide approvals and decisions, authorize changes to scope of work
- Ensure that all communications and messaging are aligned with executive priorities
- Encourage each team to identify gaps and takes steps to secure operational efficiencies ...
3 Key Questions the (IMO) Integration Management Office Should be Able to Answer
- What are the basic roles/responsibilities associated with programs and projects?
- What are the deliverables for ...
Answers to FAQs from Integration Planning Teams
- What HR integration initiatives will be corporate driven and do not need to be “solved” (only executed) in other plans?
- What Finance integration initiatives will be corporate driven and do not need to be replicated (only executed) in other plans?
- Are there any mandatory time parameters I should use for organizational structuring initiatives?
- If I have assigned another BU or Function to one of my initiatives what should I do? …
What is the Role of the IMO (Integration Management Office)?
"The Integration Management Office brings all the processes: how you collaborate cross-functionally, how you address and escalate issues for resolution, how you report and update executives on status. The IMO drives the pace, tackles ad hoc issues, tracks progress, gets feedback, does after-action reviews. Essentially, the IMO is your home base for all integration activity ...
M&A Integration Manager
M&A Integration Playbook for Integration Managers
The Playbook defines the role and priorities of Integration Managers and provides tools to help them execute their responsibilities.
The Integration Manager is primarily responsible for leading the Integration Management Office (IMO) and coordinating the activities of the integration. This person should be employed by the acquiring company and appointed at least two months prior to close.
Responsibilities of IMO (and Integration Manager)
- Set Up Governance: Form teams and set up hierarchy for the integration project.
- Oversee Development of Team Charters: Establish the integration scope for each team.
- Achieve “Early Wins”: Design successes early in the integration process to create positive momentum.
- Develop Communication Strategy: Determine the communications that must be sent on a regular basis to keep people informed ...
How to Select a Leader for Your M&A Integration Management Office (IMO)
The role of Integration Manager (IM) in M&A is a challenging but fascinating job. It calls for a versatile, multiskilled person who possesses executive muscle and strong leadership ability ...
The Role of M&A Integration Manager
The role of an M&A Integration Manager is to lead the Integration Management Office as it coordinates work across teams, manages cross-functional dependencies, conducts regular integration team meetings, tracks progress, reports results, and documents the lessons learned from the integration.
The Integration Manager should be a dedicated, full-time, on-site resource from the acquirer who should be appointed to the project no later than two weeks prior to Announcement and actively involved in the project until at least 120 days post-close.
Confidentiality in M&A
Pre-Close Integration Data Sharing Rules
Table of Contents
- General Prohibitions
- Document Creation
- Information Exchanges
- Unilateral Sales Calls (Acquirer)
- Joint Sales Calls (Acquirer and Target)
- Unilateral Contract with Partners (Acquirer)
- Joint Contract with Existing Partners (Acquirer And Target)
- Research and Development
What is Gun Jumping and How to Avoid It
- Our companies are still operating independently
- All work associated with the M&A integration teams should be considered confidential
- Please do not share details of our integration work outside this team
- The M&A integration lead team will coordinate communications to both organizations as needed throughout the process …
Antitrust Compliance Guidelines During Pre-Close M&A Integration Planning
M&A Integration Planning:
- Information Sharing
- Common Issues
- Practical Tips
- Exercising Discipline
M&A Clean Teams: Competitively Sensitive Information
- Industry reports or analysis prepared by third parties
- General information regarding current products and services
- Historical aggregated financial data, including aggregate revenues
- Information regarding the organisation of systems and processes (e.g. "back office" systems and processes like billing, IT and accounting)
- General information on health, safety and environmental matters
- General information on corporate structure and the structure of management and personnel
- Information that is in the public domain
Clean Team ...
Due Diligence Data Request Checklist for an Acquisition Integration
- Top 20 customers by business sales
- Revenue for past 3 years by source
- Sales: Rebates & Discounts
- Top 100 suppliers and the AP spend month by month last 24 months.
- Financial systems for reporting and transactions...
Post-Merger Integration Tools
Integration Management Office Tools
- Day 1 Communication Plan
- Communication Planning Template
- Cross Project Coordination Template
- Integration FAQ
- Issue Escalation Template
- Integration Scorecard Tool
- Post Integration Survey
- A Primer on Governance
- Quick Wins Tool
- Risk Management Template
- Sample Welcome Letter
- IMO Best Practices
- Facility Data Sheet
- Action Items
- Lane Reporting Template
- Project Close-out and Lessons Learned
Post-Merger Integration RACI Matrix
|Steering Com.||IMO||Funct. Teams||Synergy Owners||Accounting|
|Drives development of the overall integration plan including all the integration projects, communication plans, and achievement of synergy benefits||I||R/A||C||C|
|Defines and manages integration processes including functional work plan reviews, cross-functional collaborations, issue management ...||I||R/A||I||I|
Post Merger Integration Timeline
- Integration Planning Calendar
- Team Leads Identified
- SMT Direction Finalized
- Communication Update
- Integration Kick Off/Process Starts
- Team Charters …
Checklist: Questions to Ask When Forming Post-Merger Integration Teams
1. What key talents/strengths must members of the merger team possess?
2. What functions should be represented ...