The following merger integration playbooks are from acquisitions ranging in size up to $20 billion. Client names and client-specific details have been removed from the documents.
PRITCHETT's Merger Integration Certification Workshop Attendees and Website Subscribers can download all the playbooks, not just the free ones. They can also access all the presentations, playbooks, checklists, books, articles, assessments, webinars, research, tools, and templates on MergerIntegration.com.
We offer several samples of free acquisition integration playbooks from our consulting engagements:
The 61-page M&A integration playbook specifies over 900 integration tasks for the following work streams:
Finance: Treasury | SAP Integration | Financial Close | Operational Reporting | Financial Reporting | Tax | Inventory Accounting | Acquisition Process | Investor Relations | Synergy Tracking | Organization Design
Information Technology: Infrastructure | IT Integration Program | Day 1 | HR | Legal | Corporate | Organizational Structure | Finance
Human Resources: Compensation | Retention | Deferred Comp | Long Term Incentive Plan | Severance | Gainsharing | Health & Rx | Dental | EAP | COBRA | Life | Com Plan | HSA | LTD | STD |401k | Pension | LOA | Com Day 1 | Com Day 2 | Drug Testing | Recruiting | Data Conversion | Payroll Timekeeping | Org Structure | Immigration | Workers Comp. | Training & Development | Compliance | Safety | Policies | Labor Relations | IT Help Desk | Educ. Assistance | Travel & Expense
Corporate: Day 1 - Employee Communications | Day 1 - Corporate | Day 1 – Safety | Corporate Giving | Communications ...
The Acquisition Integration playbook includes the following nine sections:
Each section of this playbook represents a phase of the integration. For each phase, the playbook includes the following:
- Key activities in detail in sequence
- Success factors/lessons learned
- Links to tools
- Links to PowerPoint presentations
54-page playbook includes tasks and long detailed checklists on these integration work streams:
- Due Diligence
- Human Resources
- Business Development
Everything is tied together in easily customizable excel spreadsheets that auto-calculate total budget costs and synergies. Plus, the documents auto-display timing of all major activities on Gant charts.
Recommends 200 activities including:
- Accessing target's selling process
- Identifying overlap in product and service offerings
- Integration proposal process
- Developing transition plan
- Determining changes to brands
- Identifying new customer target opportunities
- Developing plan to capture synergies
- Harmonizing performance measures
- Establishing customer retention program
Covers all the tasks acquirers should follow to ensure all constituencies, including customers, employees, and investor relations, are well informed. An owner, due date, and priority are assigned to each task.
- Develop special communications/plan for key customers/contracts, prepare talking points
- Develop a plan to manage employee expectations / reactions
- Identify ways to promote the Acquired Co's image within the acquirer
- Identify areas subject to name or identity change, plan process of change over and begin ordering new stationary, supplies, signs, banners, business cards, company forms, etc.
- Update communications guidelines as necessary
- Develop and conduct communication training for the Implementation Team to ensure consistent messages
- Identify list of personnel authorized to make public statements
- Work with Human Resources and Communications counterpart to develop key HR strategies for the communications group ...
Covers 36 HR workstreams and more than 200 actions. Plus, includes key risks and interdependencies.
- Workers Comp.
- Health and Dental
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Organization Structure
- Travel ...
Includes answers to FAQs, sample letters to suppliers, and important talking points and messages.
Answers to 13 Supplier Frequently Asked Questions
Will my point of contact at Company change?
There are no changes today; however, if there are changes as we work to integrate the two companies, we will inform you as quickly as possible. Our relationship with you remains a priority.
What is going to change?
For the time being, please continue to work with us as you have in the past. Company and Target will keep existing practices in place for the short-term. As we work to integrate the two companies, we expect to identify ways to consolidate and streamline our policies and practices. But until advised further please continue to do things the same as you do today. Prior to any change we will inform you of the changes ...
Sixteen page document that includes answers to seventy-five employee FAQs, plus communication guidelines, and important talking points and messages.
|Key Messages for Employee||4|
|Employee Talking Points||5|
|Impact on Operations||11|
|Compensation, Benefits, and Incentives||13|
|Sales Professionals FAQ||15|
|Question Specific to New Employees||16|
Easily customized Word document that includes answers to FAQs, sample letters to customers, and critical talking points and messages.
Customer Communication Guidelines (excerpt from page 3)
- Adhere to the information set forth in these documents and do not elaborate or expand upon the information provided.
- If a customer asks a question that is not included in these materials, it is likely something we cannot answer at this time. Capture the customer’s question and pass it to your manager.
- Maintain the very highest ethical standards and remain focused, as always, on serving the needs of our customers.
- Do not call out comparisons to other industry mergers or acquisitions.
- Do not speculate on the future state, leadership, outcome and people ...
Five-page playbook covers media plan, talking points, letter to state and local officials, and posts for social and media websites.
Provide an image announcing the deal is complete, along with the following text:
Acquired Co. has recently become part of the Acquirer Group. For more information about Acquirer including its acquisition of Acquired Co., please visit Acquirer.com.
Twitter Post: Provide standard text that suppliers, customers, and brand sites can retweet or copy
It’s official! @acquirer has completed its acquisition of Acquired Co.. #gamechanger #acquirer #our industry [link to press release]
Ten pages of guidance for customer-facing employees and teams to help them communicate effectively with their customers about the acquisition. Includes communication tips, talking points, letter and answers to FAQs.
Answers to 28 Employee Frequently Asked Questions
What should I tell our customers?
Customer-facing employees should carefully review the Customer Communication Playbook for detailed information on how, when and what to communicate with customers. The most important thing we can tell our customers is that nothing changes immediately. They will continue to receive the same distinctive quality and service they have come to expect from us. You can assure our customers that we will not miss a beat in delivering on our commitments.
How will you decide who gets the account in cases where both companies service the same customer ...
Seventeen-page playbook includes communication tips, talking points, letter, and answers to 45 FAQs. The document makes the job of sharing accurate, timely, consistent information with employees much easier.
Will offices or other facilities be closed?
For the time being there will be no changes and we will continue to go to market as we have in the past. We will begin immediately to get to know each other and develop plans to combine our businesses in the most effective way. As we make business decisions over time, we’ll work closely with our employees, customers and suppliers to ensure smooth transitions.
Will I lose my job?
Changes may come, but not right away. As with any merger or acquisition, we know there will be some job changes and some overlap that will result in job eliminations. How many and where will take a bit more time to work through. Most people’s jobs won’t change, but others may end up with new or different responsibilities, or may report to someone new. The number and extent of job changes and reductions will depend on the unique needs of each business and department. We expect some reductions may happen within the first 90 days, and others may take longer as we integrate systems and businesses.
Our commitment to you is that we will outline a high-level process and timeline for finalizing the organizational structure within the next 30 days that will help people know what to expect ...
Six pages of communication guidance for supplier-facing teams that includes key messages, talking points, sample supplier letter, and supplier FAQs with answers.
- Our mission is to create a great place to work for our team members, great products and partnerships with our customers and suppliers across the markets we serve, and a great business that supports local economies.
- Nothing changes in the near term.
- We will act with purpose, focus and transparency to integrate our two companies working closely with our stakeholders every step of the way.
- Our relationship with our suppliers is critical to our future success. Our focus on delivering the best products and services to our customers and maintaining strong supplier partnerships ...