Post-Merger Integration Guide
Where Are We Going?
High-level integration planning defines the future state (approximately 6 weeks)
- Defines the strategic direction for key parts of the business
- Paints a picture of the future state in each functional/business area
How Do We Get There?
Detailed integration planning defines the transition (approximately 6 to 8 weeks)
- Dictates detailed steps and timing for the many initiatives required to drive the transition
- Prepares plans to be “handed off” to eventual organization owners1 for implementation and includes enough detail to support budgeting.
Execution and Integration Expertise
- Provide tools and lend experience to optimize planning and follow-through in the merger environment
- Assist in framing strategic issues and making solid decisions or deciding a course of action
- Help identify risks based on experience in similar situations
- Translate results of discussions into usable output and action
- Provide structure for the day
- Guide discussion toward conclusions
- Act as the conscience for the agenda
- Maintain balanced participation
Preserving/Enhancing the overall customer experience
- Regulatory, Ops, rules, functionality, physical moves, etc.
- Ability to develop new products, strategies, opportunities
- Managing scope, cross-functional decision making, resource planning, etc.
- Prioritization and trade-offs
Addressing people issues
- Retention, transition, staffing, severance
- Realizing headcount synergies
- Timing of decommissioning of website
Issue-Free Day 1
- Anticipating issues
Detailed Planning Deliverables
- Detailed Planning Template
- Recap of Recommendations with descriptions of status by phase (PreClose, Day 1, Integration Complete)
- Project list/summary and major steps
- Includes resource requirements
- Includes dependencies and linkages
- Key Ingredients for Success
- Risk Assessment (Customer, Deal Value, Business)
- Includes probability/impact and mitigating actions
- Communications Plan
- Remaining Outstanding Issues/Decisions Required
- Project Plan (or plans)
- Updated Synergy Template ...