Post-merger integration is the process of integrating an acquired organization to the extent necessary to realize the anticipated benefits from a deal. The intent of the deal should determine which functions and areas to fully integrate and which, if any, to partially integrate or leave alone.
The Post-Merger Integration Process:
- Define Integration Strategy and Guiding Principles
Facilitate executive session with senior leaders to determine planning direction and clarify integration goals, the extent of the integration, assumptions, non-negotiables, success metrics, and vision.
- Determine M&A Integration Governance
Define the hierarchy, structure, roles, and resources for the integration project.
- Conduct Integration Management Office (IMO) Meeting
Plan and facilitate an IMO kickoff event to formally commence the integration process and officially onboard integration teams by reviewing pre-planning input, rules of engagement, objectives, and methodology.
- Provide Post Merger Integration Training
Teach integration teams a common methodology for the integration. Level set everyone with the same information.
- Develop Post Merger Integration Risk Management Plan
Create risk management plan that proactively addresses major events that could negatively impact the integration.
- Develop Culture Integration Plans
Perform culture analysis that isolates the cultural risk factors that pose the greatest integration challenges and develop plans to address them.
- Develop Post Merger Integration Communication Plans
Create detailed communication plans including detailed Day 1, week 1 schedule, and event sequence.
- Develop Post Merger Staffing & Retention Plans
Develop approach, process, and timing for “Newco” cost and organization structure recommendations.
- Develop M&A Project Integration Plans
Create a comprehensive project plan and timeline for all integration activities including a detailed integration road map that includes integrated schedule, budget, and milestones for each functional work stream.
- Execute Acquisition Integration Plans (Includes Day 1 Plans)
Implement plans and closely monitor the success of implementation with respect to quality, time, costs, and synergies.
- Capture M&A Integration Lessons Learned
Debrief to document and capture key learnings about the integration process.